I confess I don’t watch network news very often, in part because I don’t believe that the reporter standing in front of the camera knows more about a subject than the real people who are actually involved in that subject.

But I was visiting my Mom a while back and she likes Brian Williams so I sat down and watched the broadcast. They closed the evening news with a story from KARE, a local Minneapolis, MN station.

This piece surprised me for a few reasons: the network didn’t send their people out to reshoot what was already a very well done story (local story goes viral?) and the visual storytelling of this piece is top notch on a story that’s not really very visual since the action happened in the past.

The reporter, Boyd Huppert, appears on camera only briefly, in a great visual, and ties up the story with a sweet little reflection that makes it universal.

Now if they could just pace it without the predictable rat-a-tat-tat of narration-soundbite-narration-soundbite-narration-soundbite, etc, I’d really love it.

(p.s. I’m pretty sure CNN jumped on the story and sent their people after thisĀ aired. Wonder if they did it as well as the locals?)