For the Love of Cabaret – by Meredith Rosenberg

Karen Gross first discovered cabaret at the famed Odette’s in bucolic Bucks County, Pa., where she grew up. She headlined there around 2004, debuting a show she dubbed, “Sex and the Single Singer.” Yet she started performing long before that, from summer camp shows to singer-songwriter appearances. She didn’t pursue music in college though, instead preferring to explore her other love: writing. “I just never felt like I fit into the theater click really, so I was always doing other stuff,” she said. That other stuff included working as a journalist for the New Hope Gazette and later Philadelphia City Paper. She eventually worked her way to up to her current role as the Communications Manager for the Constitution Center in Philadelphia, all the while performing cabaret on the side. After taking a master cabaret workshop in New York, Gross realized that it was time to devote more time to her artistic side if she were going to take her cabaret career further. “I guess I knew I needed to step away at a certain point because that was a full marriage of a commitment,” she said of her full-time career as a writer and editor. “I wanted to put more time into my performing life again.” Reconciling her two careers has always been a challenge, and one that she continues to reconcile as she splits her time between doing her job in Philly and furthering her craft in NYC.

See transcript

Get the rest of the story