I met Tim Verheyden at the same time I met the newest crop of CUNY J school students last week. (And they’re a great group.)

There was one difference: Tim is an established broadcast journalist from Belgium with a jaw dropping international list of smart visual reporting under his belt.

He sent me some of his stories including Bomb Aboard. I clicked on that story late at night, knowing I had to get up early the next day. I watched it to the end… breathlessly. You should too. It’s brilliant, brave storytelling.

So you can understand why I invited Tim to be part of our class, working along with everyone, doing the same assignments, being part of the team. I know I’ll learn a lot from him. And I’m pretty sure he’ll learn a few things from you too.

Talk about a stroke of luck!

I asked him to share a bit about himself:

Tim Verheyden, 34, broadcast journalist with vtm, the biggest commercial tv station in Belgium. I work as an international reporter and reported the last years from Chernobyl, Yemen, Haïti, Pakistan, The Arab Spring in the Middle East and Norway. Was nominated for the Belgian Press Awards with undercover report ‘Bomb Aboard’. The report was shown in the current affair program ‘telefacts’, the show i also host for the last two years.

Studied journalism in Hasselt, Belgium and Hilversum, The Nerherlands. Loves telling stories about real people. Joining CUNY as a visiting scholar. No matter how much experience you have, keep on learning is the best way to get better in what you do and who you are.